I am Certified in Perinatal Massage and have been Nationally Certified for over 20 years, as well as, having 2 children of my own. I know through training the benefits and contraindications of pregnancy massage, and I know personally how it feels to have your body go through so many changes!
While a woman is pregnant, her body undergoes stressful changes. Massage pleasantly and effectively eliminates many of the adverse effects of stress and the accompanying discomforts. The expectant woman can benefit in many ways from regular massage treatments:
• Leg massage can control varicose veins and the draining effects of massage facilitates reduction of edema.
• An increase in general circulation offers a rise of blood to all areas of the body, including the placenta. This brings greater nutrition to the tissues and enhances waste product removal.
• "Lazy" red blood cells which line the vessel walls are reintroduced into circulation increasing the red blood cell count. This is of particular importance to those women with anemia. A rise in the cell count will help eliminate fatigue since more oxygen carrying hemoglobin is released into the bloodstream.
• The Lymphatic system circulates faster and more efficiently. The result for the pregnant woman is less swelling and more energy.
• The strain on the muscles of the lower back, abdomen and shoulders increases as the pregnancy progresses, and can be greatly relieved with regular massage.
• Muscle tone can increase with regular massage. Muscle spasms and knots are released while ligaments, tendons and joints enjoy greater flexibility. This is most advantageous during labor.
• Massage has a sedating effect on the Nervous System, which promotes needed rest and relaxation. It also releases endorphins causing deep relaxation for both the mother and the baby in utero!